Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Christmas Math Project

For the next couple of months, my stepson is being home schooled.  It is temporary, but it is also hard work.  My husband and I worry so much that he will get behind so we are working A LOT with him to make sure that does not happen.  Home schooling consists of a lot of staring at a computer screen to learn a lesson and complete the work for that lesson.  I really want to make learning fun still for him, so I started researching projects I could do with him that go along with his learning.

I found a teaching blog that I really liked and got the idea from there!  If you want to check out the blog, you can go toAdventures of a Third Grade Teacher .

Currently, my stepson is beginning to learn his basic multiplication facts.  We do a lot of flash cards with him in addition to his school work, but we also wanted to make it fun and do a project.  When I found Amber Polk's Christmas tree multiplication project, I knew I had to do it with him!!

Materials:

Construction Paper
Sharpie
Crayons
Glue Stick
Scissors


Instructions:

1. Have child take a large piece of green construction paper and cut a large triangle (that will be the Christmas tree.)
2. Have child take a yellow piece of construction paper and cut out a star.  
3. Have child take different colors of construction paper and cut circles.  Those will be the ornaments.
4. Have child pick a number (or choose a number that you already know they need practice on with their facts.)  Have child write that number on the star.
5. Use the cut out circles and have them write their multiplication facts starting with the number x's 1, x's 2, x's 3, and so on... 
6. Have child glue star and ornaments onto the green cut out "Christmas tree."
7. Let child decorate the remainder of their tree with crayons.
8. Voila! A fun Christmas time project that also doubles to help with multiplication facts!




Let me know if you try this with your child or stepchild and let me know what you think!  Also, please be sure to check out Adventures of a Third Grade Teacher for more great learning and teaching ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment